Monday, September 26, 2011

Projects I've been working on...

I feel like I'm playing catchup.
Though I'm not sure where I'm trying to land.

I quilted the Across the Sea QAL quilt today. I was going to do echo quilting...and maybe that would have been a better choice. But I decided on straight lines.
I really hate my machine.
I didn't really have much in the way of I can't FMQ on it. As it is, I had a horrible time trying to feed it through the window bit. Clearly even the "lap quilt" is too big for it.
So, my lines aren't always straight...and the fabric bunched and shifted.
But I wanted it done.
and I'm hoping it gets a bit better in the wash as it's a gift.
For the boy version, I'm DEFINITELY not doing a pieced back along the lines of the first one.
I love the crosses on the back, but it was a b*tch and a half to try to get them to line up in my tiny tiny basting area.

Other projects:
I'm working on a quilt for the 100 quilts for kids. When it's done, this one will go to Project Linus.
100 quilts for kids WIP

I've selected some Wrenly for a Xmas present.
wrenly for wip

The Pirate helped me assemble this shelf thingie from Target over the weekend.
NEW craft place!
Now my fabric has a place to live....and the guest room is in theory usable.
(I still have a bunch of stuff to stuff in the closet should there be an actual guest.)

Still not done:
Skill Builder block
no progress on Hoopla
quilt for dance partner (layout done...sewing yet to begin)
Haven't decided yet on design for Pouch swap

Scrap Bag Challenge...

A while back, I made it past round one of PingsandNeedles Japanese Scrap Bag challenge.
I got my fabric about two weeks ago. It took a while to cross the ocean.

I used a pattern I'd had for a while but had never made...Tempest's Corset Belt.

I was terrified to cut into the fabric.

I tried making a prototype.

Then the concept of applying 80 grommets total made me throw that out the window.
(I still may go back and finish the red belt at some point.)

I spent most of my free time (Saturday) sewing and grommeting.
I cut up my fingers fairly well.
(This is why the bra is still in need of embellishment. I can't handsew til Friday or maybe Thurs if I get work off.)

The finished belt and unfinished bra:
belt and unfinished bra
corset belt

I still have to pick music. And I am thinking of black dance pants and possibly a layer of a fringe belt under it...
I do promise to display the full costume by the deadline (most likely with me in it). Brace yourselves. And let me remind you right now that folks of all shapes, ages, and sizes bellydance. (Don't be expecting a 6 pack, unless I'm holding it.)