Friday, November 4, 2011

Because I love this quilt....

I wanted a chance to link up before the deadline ended.
Amy'sCreativeSide

I'm submitted this quilt
batik quilt

to the Bloggers'Quilt Festival.

It remains one of my all time favorites.
I found out one of my friends had gotten a cancer diagnosis.
Breast cancer.
A rare variation. (like rare enough that she immediately ended up in a medical study)
She's a nurse, so she knew what she was up against.
I love this woman. Her sass. She gave me support when I took a risk once online. Her words kept me talking...and ultimately (in a round about way) kept me talking long enough to find The Pirate. She's sent me video of her bellydancing.
I wanted her to know she's got folks thinking about her.
Rooting for her.
I had just started quilting. I wanted to make her a fabric hug, something to keep her warm while napping if her energy was low, something smooshy.
But beautiful.
I chose batiks because they made think of space photographs. The idea of a hug from the universe was just too much to pass up.

I picked more peaceful, water-like fabric for the back:
batik quilt back

She loved it.
And, in the end, that's all that mattered.
She knows she's loved.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful story! Beautiful quilt. I've never been a fan of batiks, but they look gorgeous on this quilt.

Sandra Kaye said...

I like the simplicity of this quilt. Great job!! Hugs

Heidi Grohs said...

You are so right! It is all that matters! I avoid batiks like the plague, but I love this quilt!

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Oh, it is beautiful. I love all those jewel tones! The back is great also....love pieced backs. Touching story.

Lynne said...

What a wonderful story for a beautiful quilt! I hope your friend is a survivor.

Margaret said...

It's beautiful. The colours alone give the idea of comfort and safety.

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Beautiful quilt for a special friend!
Mrs.Hearts
www.busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

It is gorgeous. The story behind it brought me to tears.

Jolanda said...

Lovely fabrics!

Sana Saroti said...

Thanks for sharing that really sweet story! And the quilt is so beautiful!

Allison said...

beautiful quilt! thank you for sharing it, and it's beautiful story

Pieces to Love said...

Beautiful quilt and touching story. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, enough to make a quilter cry.
What a beautiful gesture *and* smooshy quilt. You are a special friend, indeed.